Dictionary Definition of 'severe'
Intense, harsh, or extreme in nature.
"The hurricane caused severe damage to the coastal town."
Detailed Meaning of 'severe'
It suggests a high degree of seriousness, strictness, or rigor. When applied to physical conditions, it indicates something that is harsh, intense, or demanding, often causing significant discomfort or pain. In the context of weather, a severe storm or extreme weather event denotes conditions that are intense and potentially dangerous. Moreover, the term can describe situations or circumstances that are stringent, unforgiving, or inflexible in terms of rules, regulations, or consequences. When discussing a person's behavior or attitude, "severe" implies a stern, strict, or austere demeanor. Overall, the adjective "severe" emphasizes the gravity, intensity, and unforgiving nature of the subject at hand.
Examples of 'severe' in a Sentence
1. She received a severe reprimand from her boss for coming late to work.
2. His severe allergies forced him to stay indoors during spring.
3. The mountain climbers faced severe weather conditions, which included heavy snowfall and strong winds.
4. The teacher's severe gaze made the students quiet down immediately.
5. He suffered a severe injury that kept him out of sports for several months.
6. The drought had a severe impact on the farmers' crops.
History and Etymology of 'severe'
The adjective 'severe' finds its etymological roots in the Latin word 'severus,' which conveyed the sense of being strict, stern, or serious. In Latin, 'severus' was used to describe individuals who displayed a strict or uncompromising demeanor. As the word transitioned into Middle English, it retained its core meaning of being intense, harsh, or extreme in nature. 'Severe' is used to characterize situations, conditions, or judgments that are marked by a stern and uncompromising quality. It conveys a sense of seriousness and a lack of leniency, emphasizing the gravity or intensity of the subject at hand. The etymology of 'severe' reflects its historical association with a strict and unwavering attitude.
Quiz Categories Containing 'severe'