Dictionary Definition of 'foe'
An individual or entity that is considered an opponent, adversary, or enemy.
"The superhero's arch-nemesis was a formidable foe with evil intentions."
Detailed Meaning of 'foe'
A foe is someone who actively opposes or competes against another person or group, often with the intent to harm, defeat, or undermine their interests or goals. Foes can arise in various contexts, including personal relationships, politics, sports, or conflicts between nations. They can be characterized by animosity, hostility, or a fundamental disagreement with the beliefs, values, or objectives of the other party. Foes are typically seen as obstacles or threats, and interactions with them may involve competition, confrontation, or strategic maneuvers aimed at gaining an advantage or achieving victory over them.
Examples of 'foe' in a Sentence
1. The brave knight faced his fearsome foe on the battlefield.
2. Despite being outnumbered, the underdog team fought valiantly against their formidable foes.
3. The detective relentlessly pursued his criminal foe to bring them to justice.
4. The political rivals were bitter foes, constantly clashing over their differing ideologies.
5. The cat and the mouse were eternal foes, engaged in a never-ending chase.
6. In the epic fantasy novel, the hero embarked on a perilous journey to confront his ancient foe.
History and Etymology of 'foe'
The noun 'foe' has its origins in Middle English, where it was known as 'fo,' meaning an enemy or opponent. It can be traced back further to the Old English word 'fāh,' which meant 'hostile' or 'at war.' The term 'fāh' is also related to the Old Norse word 'fjár,' meaning 'feud' or 'quarrel.' Over time, 'foe' evolved to describe an individual or entity that is considered an opponent, adversary, or enemy in various contexts, whether in battle, competition, or conflict. The etymology of 'foe' underscores its historical connection to the concept of hostility and opposition, reflecting its use to characterize those in opposition or conflict with others.
Quiz Categories Containing 'foe'