Dictionary Definition of 'contentious'
Characterized by disagreement, conflict, or controversy, often involving strong and opposing opinions or positions.
"The contentious issue divided the community and sparked intense discussions."
Detailed Meaning of 'contentious'
When we refer to a topic, issue, or situation as contentious, we emphasize the presence of disputes, disputes, or arguments among individuals or groups who hold differing views or interests. Contentious matters can be contentious due to their complexity, sensitivity, or the deep-seated beliefs and values they involve. This term conveys a sense of tension and division, highlighting the challenges of finding common ground or resolution in the face of conflicting perspectives. Whether it's a contentious political debate, a contentious legal case, or a contentious decision within an organization, this adjective underscores the divisive and polarizing nature of the issue at hand.
Examples of 'contentious' in a Sentence
1. The contentious topic of politics often created a rift between friends at their weekly gatherings.
2. Mariah and Jack decided to avoid discussing their contentious relationship issues at the family dinner.
3. His contentious style of leadership eventually led to numerous disputes within the team.
4. Despite the contentious nature of the trial, the jury managed to reach a unanimous verdict.
5. The contentious debate lasted for hours, with neither side willing to back down.
6. She found herself in a contentious argument over environmental policies at the town hall meeting.
History and Etymology of 'contentious'
The adjective 'contentious' has its etymological roots in Latin, specifically from the word 'contentiosus,' which is derived from 'contentio,' meaning 'strife' or 'contest.' In its original Latin context, 'contentiosus' described something or someone inclined to engage in disputes, conflicts, or contests, often involving strong and opposing opinions or positions. As the term evolved and transitioned into English, it retained this essence, signifying a state or situation characterized by disagreement, conflict, or controversy. 'Contentious' thus captures the confrontational and argumentative nature of issues or individuals that provoke strong opposing viewpoints and disputes, highlighting its connection to contention and strife.
Quiz Categories Containing 'contentious'